Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Todays plans

I am out to the house today to put on the first coat of satin finish on the floor. This system calls for four coats of the original finish which has a medium sheen or semi gloss like look. If you want to to tone it down a bit and have a more subtle top coat, you can do two coats of original to seal and two coats of satin to create the final look. I am very interested to see what will happen here. The first two coats were sucked right up by the thirsty pine and I can not see much evidence of that semi-gloss like look. I am hoping that the first coat of satin today will begin to reveal what the floor will really look like.

All in all, the floor in the living room seems to be in the best shape. The dining room is going to be another challenge altogether. The previous owners were at the house when we were looking at it and they were filling the gaps in between the boards with durhams rock hard water putty. (In some areas bondo was used) I now have to go through the entire room and carefully chisel this stuff out. With the pine being so soft, this is a very delicate process to keep the boards from being damaged. I will upload some photos of this nightmare as soon as I am brave enough to face it.

I also added some new links to the right. One is a .pdf document on the house that I found online. I think it was prepared by the previous owner and it tells some of the history. The other is a site that details a walking tour of our town. It shows many of the houses that are in our area. Check them out.

No comments: